Many parents remember playing freeze tag and Wiffle ball during the summertime when they were kids. In fact, playing outside meant freedom to have fun until the streetlights came on for most kids. Unfortunately, a new trend has shifted from the great outdoors to the indoors for newer generations. As a result, more kids have gotten out of shape and sickly due to weakened immune systems. Encouraging kids to play outside during the summer may have more benefits than most parents would think, especially when structured in group settings. Playing outside keeps kids active, entertained, and socializing. It also helps to build essential skills that could go with them as they grow older. Consider these fun games and activities to help your kids stay active and lively during the summer.
- Nature Hunt: Hunt for cool objects in nature with your friends.
- Hunter and Guard: Avoid being caught by the hunter while on the chase.
- Meet a Tree Game: Try to find the same tree you felt while blindfolded.
- Games Paddlers Play: Play these fun boating games to learn how to paddle.
- Free (or Almost Free) Summer Fun Ideas: Use these fun summer ideas to have a blast outdoors in nature.
- Great Outdoor Games for Kids: Learn how to survive in the wild by playing these fun nature games.
- Fun Nature Activities for Families: Learn and appreciate nature while having fun doing these exciting activities.
- 50 Outdoor Summer Activities For Kids: Make your own homemade sprinkler and get wet while playing in the sun.
- Underwater Knotting: Try to tie a knot underwater and compete with your friends.
- Cool Down with Water and Ice Games: Play these fun games to cool down on a hot summer day.
- Water Boy: Compete with a group of friends to see who will collect the most water in this delightful game.
- 25 Water Games and Activities for Kids: Splash in the water and have fun playing these games under the hot sun.
- 11 Water Games and Summer Activities for Kids: Have fun under the sun while enjoying these water games and summer activities.
- How to Play: Water Limbo: Bend backwards and walk under the water house in this water version of traditional Limbo.
- How To Play Red Rover: Learn the rules to this classic game.
- Hide and Seek: Learn how to play Hide and Seek, Jailbreak, Jason, and Manhunt.
- Flag Football (PDF): Learn the basic rules to flag football and have fun making touchdowns.
- Dodgeball: Avoid getting hit by a flying ball.
- Basketball Games to Play With Two or Three People: Play Time Trial, 21, Around the World, and Horse with two or three of your friends.
- Jump the Creek: Test how far you can jump playing this fun game.
- Jump Rope Skills: Master your jump rope skills over the summer using these rules.
- Outdoor Games for Scouts (PDF): Have fun learning about the outdoors with your fellow scouts.
- Confidence and Team Building Games: Learn to trust your friends while playing these fun confidence- and team-building games.
- Wheelbarrow Race Game: Have fun racing your friends on your hands when playing the wheelbarrow race game.
- Find Something to Do! No-Prop Games for Camp: These fun activities will promote warmth and bonding among your camp culture.
- Team-Building Activities (PDF): Play these games to connect with your friends.
- Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves: Test your concentration and rhythm by playing this game with a group of friends in a circle.
- Animal Name Game: This is a fun introductory icebreaker that will have you and your friends laughing at the end.
- Bippity Bop Bop Bop (PDF): Get energized with your friends as you learn each other's names in this fun circle game.
- Circle Games (PDF): Play the Shoe Game and Pebble, Pebble in a circle with your friends.
- A Collection of Circle Games (PDF): Get members of your camp to play these fun circle games.
- Rainy-Day Activities (PDF): Play these fun indoor activities when it starts to rain.
- A Collection of Rainy-Day Activities (PDF): Have fun doing these indoor activities when the rain starts to come down.
- Rainy-Day and Indoor Activities (PDF): Use these indoor activities to have fun during a gloomy day.
- Classroom or Large-Space Activities (PDF): Use these ideas when you can't get outdoors during a rainy day.
- Top Ten Activities for Kids with Special Needs: Have fun playing these games and doing these activities with other special-needs kids.
- Fun Things to Try with Your Disabled Children: Parents and the friends of special-needs children can have fun doing these things during the summertime.
- Physical Fitness for Children with Special Needs (PDF): Use these games and activities to include special-needs children in physical fitness.
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism: Have fun doing these ten activities with your autistic child or friend.
- Marshmallow Toss Game: A great game for children of all ages, shapes, and sizes.
Find more about the author: Kim Hart